Monday, August 2, 2010

Streams of Consciousness – 8/2/2010

Monsieur Mallah with the Brain Daniel Acuña Daniel Acuna Outsiders #37 DC Comics Cover comic book issueHey, everyone! I have quite a few things to share with you today, so I decided to cram it all into one giant, scatter-brained post. Enjoy!

First of all, thanks once again to the folks at MOMB Comics for the very nice mention they made of this blog on their most recent podcast, which you can check out here (it’s MOMBcast #45). This is one of my absolute favorite comics podcasts week in and week out – please go and check it out!

I’d also like to thank Ryan Lindsay and everyone else at Thought Balloons for featuring a single-page Punisher comic book script I wrote last week in a guest post on Friday (mine is the second one, "Dangerous"). For those unaware, Thought Balloons is a site where a handful of writers each write a one-page script about a particular comic book character (a new one every week). Reader-submitted reviews are encouraged as well, so feel free to try your hand at any time – this week’s character is Gamora.

And for those who have been following the comments sections here for the last few weeks, I’m happy to report that my move was a resounding success and that although there are still unpacked boxes as far as the eye can see, I’m settling into my new place quite nicely. Most importantly, there shouldn’t be any hiccups in the weekly review schedule, as I feared there might. I’ll also try to post some comments on the October 2010 solicitations soon – I would have done so much sooner, but Marvel was extremely late in releasing theirs this month, I think because of SDCC a couple of weeks ago.

You may have also noticed that I added a Review Index to the blog. There may not very many reviews here at the moment, but as more are added I think this will become extremely helpful. The link is in the sidebar right now (between the links and followers sections), but I may move it to the top of the page at some point.

And now, for probably the most significant item on the docket: yes, I am working on an annotated reading order for Marvel’s trade paperback collections, which is very much in the vein of the DC timeline at the Collected Editions blog. I alluded to this project (albeit somewhat secretively) in a post way back in May, but until recently it hasn’t really been in a state worthy of publication. It will be posted very soon, though, at which point I’ll be talking about it in a lot more detail. I’m also hoping to work in conjunction with Ian at the excellent website Trade Reading Order to get his Marvel collections database up to date. So stay tuned, exciting things are on the way!

That’s it for now – have a great week, and I’ll see you back here on Friday (if not sooner)!

6 comments:

  1. Great post Marc, and man you are making rounds on the Internet Comic fandom, I didn't know you were so popular :P But nice addition to the blog, and really nice Punisher story, I just checked it out before posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marc, thanks for being a loyal thoughtballooner, hope to see plenty more of your scripts in the future. Loving this site, too. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting times my friend! BTW, that is an awesome image. I've only read old school issues of them - is that from a more recent arc? Or just an illustration?

    ReplyDelete
  4. JT - Thanks for stopping by, and I seem to remember that you're interested in scripting and screenwriting as well. You should give Thought Balloons a try, if you get a chance.

    Ryan - Thanks, I'm really glad to have found your guys' site. I would have participated this week too, but I must confess... I have no idea who Gamora is!

    Ian - I actually haven't read anything aside from the old comics either! But I love this depiction of Monsieur Mallah and the Brain, which apparently was done by Daniel Acuña for the cover of Outsiders #37.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes me very excited to get to the modern outsiders stuff some day. I enjoyed the Showcase well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Showcase looks good, because it looks like a rare late-'80s comic that doesn't suffer too much from a lack of color. Same with a lot of the Batman or Batman-related Showcases, actually.

    ReplyDelete